A recent Commonwealth Fund report on various healthcare measures compared states nationwide. This is how California fared on some MCH issues:
For access to health care, California ranked 30th. The report showed that in 2015:
- 17% of adults ages 19 to 64 were uninsured;
- Only 6% of children up to age 18 were uninsured.
California ranked 37th among prevention and treatment measures. The report found:
- 78% of children ages 19 to 35 months had received all recommended doses of seven key vaccines;
- 65% of children had a medical and dental preventive care visit in the last year.
The report also projected that if California improved its performance equal to that of the top performing state in each measure about:
- 388,387 fewer children up to age 18 would be uninsured